Saturday, September 22, 2007

EtsyOWLs cross-blog...Stellar Seller, Sept 21

Friday, September 21st, 2007
Suenosdejmi, also known in the physical world as Jamie, is this week's stellar seller. She's V-P of the Etsy Owls & has been on Etsy for almost a year. Check her shop out at
http://suenosdejmi.etsy.com/
And read her interview!!!!

Tell us all about you, as much or as little as you'd love to share with the Etsy world. :)
Well, I'm Jamie, I'm 24, & I'm a college student born, mostly raised, & living in East Tennessee. I've been crocheting for, seriously, as long as I can remember. I learned from my mom & my grandmother (my dad's mom), both of who are awesome craftastic women. I have a blanket I've been crocheting since I was that little...probably 8 or 9 or so, and it's only just now reached around 3 feet wide (it's about 7 or 8 feet long...). You can look at it and see the progress I've made over the years with my crocheting. It's quite amazing.
If that didn't clue you in, I really don't do well with projects that take a long time...I have a seriously short attention span. So, I enjoy making scarves because they're fairly quick & creative. :)
Um...what else? Okay, so college student. I have my Associates degree in Spanish, and I'm almost finished with my Bachelors in Cross-Cultural Sociology & Spanish. Hopefully, I will be spending my last undergraduate semester in Spain! (So buy things from me, because it'll help me get there!!!) After that, I'm probably going to graduate school at East Tennessee State University for Appalachian Studies.

I'm not married, but hopefully I will be eventually, to my total sweetie of the last 2 & a half years :)
What is your shop about & how did you get started???
Well, my shop is all about crocheting, and the occasional
beaded/buttoned/tied piece of jewelry. I like experimenting
with jewelry, but I'm not into it enough to make it full time. I just buy lots of beads & pretend :)
I opened my Etsy shop up last November, but didn't really get active until this past June or so. I started my shop as an outlet for my crocheted scarves, because I got totally into the habit of making them in classes & wanted an excuse to keep crocheting habitually. So, now I have my excuse, & I'm having tons of fun with it. :)


What inspires you to create?
Color. Lots of color. I see a certain color combination somewhere, like in a bouquet of plastic flowers, and suddenly I'm inspired to see them poured out in stitches across a scarf. I like lots of color in my pieces, so it's quite rare that I'll make a scarf with just one color in it. I'm sort of a biased designer in the sense that I design for what I like, and less for what others might like. I have to be in love with my pieces, or I can't keep going. I suppose my creation process is the same for my writing (I write poetry), I get inspired by what's going on in the world around me. I want to push all that activity into a poem, or a scarf, or a unique little bracelet, & send it out into the world to exist. That's the magic that is art.

Describe yourself in 1 word:
Just one? I'm always horrible at these....I would probably have to say....eclectic


What's your favorite:
Book: there's sooo many...but, Harry Potter (either 3, 5, 6, 0r 7), Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich, or about 100 others...:)
Movie: again, HP 3, which is Prisoner of Azkaban, or Coyote Ugly. I'm picky about movies so not quite as many as books, but definitely more.
Song: Can't pick one. I would have to say Natalie Imbruglia "Troubled by the Way We Came Together", and almost any song by Jewel, Evanescence, or Shakira. :)

No comments: