not only do i want to consume every creamy, savory, carb-loaded thing in sight
i also don't.want.to.move.
and since i sometimes need to say it to (a) realize that i'm already on the right track and (b) to hold myself accountable to keep.doing.it.
today's list is all about things i'm already doing to stay active and mobile even during chilly and dreary days :-)
1. the occasional 5k. i'm doing one this saturday, in fact. now, i've cut WAY back on 5k registrations to save money (i can exercise for free, after all). but one every 2-3 months is much more reasonable than my old pattern of once a month. so i'm going to try that this year. so i need to at LEAST do one by the end of may by those calculations...
2. dancing. with the baby in the kitchen while i nanny, by using the "just dance summer party" game i've purchased for the wii, or by attending contra-dancing or even a belly dancing class. it's FUN, cheap (or free!) and even if i feel silly i'm burning calories!
3. cleaning. yes, i know this sounds like a stretch. but if i tell myself to take a 30 minute break to clean the kitchen i will put it off. if i remind myself i can put it on my fitness pal as "cleaning, light or moderate effort" i jump to do it. i know it's weird, but hey.
4. my fitness pal. i love the app (and that you can add recipes by scanning the ingredients -- hellooooo user-friendly). and i get a kick out of tweaking my eating habits so that i'm eating better calories. but i also get a rush by plugging in all the ways i've exercised during the day and have even been known to find 15 minutes of an activity to do later in the evening so my exercise doesn't show a big fat 0.
i can NOT figure out how to add people outside of emailing them, so if you're on it feel free to look me up. i'm msmsctchr.
<a href="http://www.myfitnesspal.com"><img src="http://badges.myfitnesspal.com/badges/show/1511/7178/15117178.weight-lost-sm.gif" border="0"></a><p style="text-align: center;width:226px;"><small>MyFitnessPal - Free <a href="http://www.myfitnesspal.com">Calorie Counter</a></small></p>
5. hiking. free exercise is good. amazing girlfriends or a wonderful husband to share it with is even better :-)
6. little things at work: at my office job, i try to move every hour for at least 5 minutes. i realize that isn't much but it's way better than sitting at the desk all.morning.long. and at my nanny job, i carry the baby more, go on stroller walks when it's nice out, use their elliptical even if it's only 5 minutes at a time, and even get on their balance ball while baby g plays (which she finds extremely amusing).
7. better sleep. who wants to work out when they're constantly tired? i've been bad about this for the last 2 weeks or so, but i need to get back in the habit i was in for at least 2-3 months of sleeping 7-8 hours each night with rare exceptions. yeah...need to go to bed by 11 tonight (self-reminder...)
8. crunches. yes, i hate them. yes, i feel better after doing them. so right now i at least try to remember to do them 2-3 times a week. hey, it's a start.
9. spurts. when all else fails, i go in spurts. this works for me if i have guests coming and need to clean the house and everything feels overwhelming. 9 minute tasks, move to the next one and have a rotation system. i can always come back in the rotation, and if i only have 3 minutes of cleaning left in one room...i feel SO good about finishing it before the timer. it's amazing how an hour goes by so much faster if you move between several rooms than if you spend the entire hour in a bathroom scrubbing. and bonus: i'm moving the entire 60 minutes instead of taking a break every 15 or so because i'm exhausted, bored and grouchy.
10. know thyself. i have twice in the last three weeks injured my wrist by doing mundane household things. ri-di-cu-lous, but it's made me realize the value of taking it easy on my wrist while not stopping activity altogether. sometimes i need to take it easy and take that nap instead of jumping on the elliptical. but taking a day off doesn't give me permission to take the week off!
(plus, sometimes that nap gives me better energy to clean the house later. so it's kind of a nice payoff...)