Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thursday's Ten

Little different today--ten Scriptures that I love (and believe me, it was hard to narrow them down!)

I wear a necklace most days with the words "faith" and "love" on it. This verse is the reason:
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
(Proverbs 3:3)


LaJuana "gave" me this verse when I was first realizing that I was being led out of teaching. It's a familiar one, but it's been a wonderful reminder:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
(Proverbs 3:5-6)


This one I found in the middle of one of those Psalms I kind of hate to read, and skim over--one that was lamenting all that was going wrong, etc. But this verse was right in the middle of it all, and what came after it was nothing but praise.
But then I recall all you have done, O Lord. (Psalm 77:11)
That one really got to me, because sometimes I have that tendency to think that the problem I'm facing is bigger than anything I've ever gone through before...and then I realize that if God can get me through what He's already brought me through, why am I doubting that this will be any different?

I just love the imagery in this one:
For the Lord your God is living among you, He is a mighty savior
He will take delight in you with gladness.
With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.
(Zephaniah 3:17)


You, oh Lord, are a shield around me; You are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
(Psalm 3:3)
I fell in love with that verse through a song we sing at my church, and just love the picture it creates. The song actually uses another translation as it's basis and says "You're my glory, you're the lifter of my head."

One of the wisest women I know shares this verse with us a lot (I think she's hoping it will sink in!)
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for what he's done. (Phillipians 4:6)
but my favorite is the verse that follows:
Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. (4:7)

Be still in the presence of the Lord and wait patiently for him to act (Psalm 37:7)
(yeah. not something I'm excellent at quite yet!)

I get a lot of joy out of this one--actually believing it

He rescued me because He delights in me! (Psalm 18:19)

This one was a few verses away from our call to worship last week and it just leapt off the page at me:
I cry out to the Lord,
I plead for the Lord's mercy.
I pour out my complaints before him
and tell him my troubles.
When I am overwhelmed,
you alone know the way I should turn.
(Psalm 142:1-3)

I really could go on forever, but I'll stop with this one...I love the picture of a God who longs for us to have conversation with Him.
My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me."
And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."
(Psalm 27:8)

No comments: