Monday, February 23, 2009

Recipe of the Week -- Shepherd's (Cottage) Pie

I was going to wait to post this recipe. It's becoming a tradition for me to make it on St Patrick's Day, so I was going to post it sometime in March. I can't wait. Which means I'll probably be making it this week!

Just for the record, I call it Shepherd's Pie. But...I don't make it with lamb, so it's technically a Cottage Pie :0)

Shepherd's Pie

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
clove of garlic
1-2 cups mixed veggies (I use carrots, corn and peas)
1 1/2-2 lbs potatoes
1 stick butter
1/2 cup beef broth
2-4 tbsp tomato paste, or can of tomato sauce (there are times that I add a can of each, actually)
splash of red wine
3 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
salt, pepper, other seasonings

Begin by peeling, chopping, and boiling potatoes in salted water for 20-30 minutes

Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large frying pan.
Saute onions in butter until tender over medium heat (approx 10 minutes). About 5 minutes in, add clove of chopped garlic and the carrots
Add ground beef and saute until brown. Add peas and corn, salt and pepper, worcesterchire sauce, splash of wine, tomato paste/sauce, and half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth (or wine) as necessary.

When potatoes are tender mash them. I add about 2-3 tbsp butter, milk, and even amounts of salt and pepper as I mash.

Line baking dish with beef, onions and veggie mixture. Layer mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so peaks will brown nicely.
Cook at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Turn on broiler and let brown for an additional 5 minutes.

No comments: