Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Brand New Day

For some reason, that silly little song from "The Wiz" is now running through my head. Could it be because when I woke up this morning there was a different man leading the country than when I got up yesterday? Yeah...I think that may have something to do with it.

Now...I don't think he's going to single-handedly save the world, or even the country. There's no reason to think he's the savior of anything. He's got a hard road ahead, and I most certainly do NOT envy his job! But I'm sitting up a little straighter today, smiling a little more.

How sweet is it that the Bush twins wrote a letter to Malia and Sasha? Published in the Wall Street Journal

I will say, I enjoyed every moment of inauguration coverage yesterday. I wasn't bored for a moment. Loved seeing all the former Presidents (yes, even the current as of yesterday morning. I think he was very gracious). My favorite non-Obama moment was watching the senior Bush's and the Clintons chat on camera--and then watching the 3 people rushing to them to tell them they had to move on. Yeah. Two former leaders of our nation are being bossed around by people whose names we'll never know. I seriously laughed at that. But I LOVE seeing the obvious friendship and respect that these two couples have for each other. It's pretty amazing to see.

Oh, and I also loved that Dr. Biden--Jill, our Veep's wife--has been offered jobs as prestigious universities around D.C. but has elected to teach at a community college. She wants to keep doing what she's been doing. That speaks volumes for her character, I think.

I also loved that when Bush's helicopter took off Joe Biden stood and saluted. No one has said anything about it on any news that I've seen; I think it was a private moment for him, but I caught it and thought it a nice tribute.

My favorite Obama moments? Well, they can best be explained in pictures. So here's a few I've dragged up from various websites. :0)









2 comments:

AmberW said...

I am Canadian... and I am sitting up MUCH straighter today!!!
I am so excited for your country - and I think this is the best step in the right direction.
You are right, it is NOT going to be easy - and I often wonder if he knows what he is getting himself into!! lol.... but I think he is going to do a great job.
I couldn't be happier to see George Bush leave office... it was time for change (maybe 4 hours too late! lol)
Love the pictures!

kris said...

It really was a day filled with hope and peace. WOW.