Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Recipe of the Week -- Spinach Dip

So, one of the blessings of this season of unemployment is that my friends have tried to help me however they can. One set of friends has asked me to babysit weekly for a Bible study that meets on Friday mornings at my church. And born out of that I've been asked to babysit for a small group every other week on Sunday evenings.


This past week, the small group switched things around and held a luncheon instead. They met after 2nd service at the designated house (about a mile from church), I came in after 3rd and was immediately told "fix a plate!" Well, ok...who's going to refuse that?


I grabbed the barbeque sandwich and some cole slaw and then I saw it...the little container of heaven on earth.



Spinach Dip



It should be noted that I have always had an aversion to all things spinach. Only recently will I even eat spinach raw in a salad. But for SOME reason I have always had an affinity for spinach dip. Hot, cold, whatever. I found Publix deli to be a good source to buy it from, and that has been good enough for me. Until Sunday.


My friend Robbie was the amazing creator of the dip. And when she told me what she puts in it, and the fact that it costs $1.75 to make (Publix deli=half the dip for over twice the price) I knew I had to share it. Now...there are a lot of recipes running around out there. And believe me, I'm going to play around with this one for awhile. My next attempt will include some fresh shredded parmesan too. But here's the basic, bare bones version.



Robbie's Spinach Dip


1 block of cream cheese, left at room temp for several minutes to soften
1 pkg of frozen spinach
Worcestershire sauce to taste
a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice


Cook spinach and drain ALL water out. Stir in cream cheese, worcestershire, and lemon juice until the mixture is creamy and smooth. (hint: you don't want cream cheese lumps, so if you can't get it completely smooth pop it in the microwave for a few seconds). This is delicious hot or cold.



Robbie suggested add-ins: hot sauce, crumbled bacon

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

...this just made my day.

I know what I'm going to try soon...