Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Emi's Box

In case you haven't met her yet, I have a cat named Emi.

Here she is:


Apparently she's being shy. Let's try that again.


Ahh, that's better.

Emi has a new love. It happened when I pulled some stuff out of the closet to decorate for Christmas, and stumbled across a couple of empty shoeboxes.

I pulled them out of the closet and placed them near the edge of the dining room table so that I would remember to throw them out.

She had other ideas.


In fact, every time I would even think of throwing the boxes away, I'd remember how adorable she is when she's in her box, all curled up and cozy. I can't bear to throw these eyesores away.



However, she can't stay in her box forever.

The box is comfortable.
It provides a somewhat secure and cozy place for her to sleep.
She observes life from this box.
The box serves a purpose for her. It's a familiar place that she can retreat to when new and scary people or situations enter her life. It's a great spot for napping or for watching tv with "mommy"
But she fails to see the chaos that is sometimes around it. I doubt she even notices the candy wrapper, plastic shopping bag, or pair of shoes.



We do the same thing.

Our boxes are comfortable.
We feel secure.
We observe life from this box, and we try to place others in similar boxes so that we can avoid getting to know the real persons. We even try to put God in a box--as if He is going to stay all neat and tidy according to our dictations.
Our box has sometimes served us well. It's been the vehicle in which we've grown and developed. It can protect us from those new and scary situations. It has a purpose.
But when we stay in our box we fail to see the details, the chaos around us, the living that is going on without us.

We can't stay in our box forever.

Even if we do look cute in there.






Photobucket

10 comments:

*Katy* said...

She looks just like our cats sleeping in that box, so happy :) (except usually ours have their little rear ends hanging out because they're too big!)

Cole said...

She is absolutely precious in the box! And I love your message here :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I need a cat. Thanks for stopping by my blog SITSta! COme again!

Anonymous said...

aw cute! My dad has 6 cats and when I go visit you can bet at least 4 of them are sleeping in some sort of box or basket. It's quite funny!

KarieK said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the message. We often try to put everyone into our box and fail to realize there is no box, no end to the possibility of wonderful people and things in life. Great message! Cute cat too...my daughter would lose her mind on your cat.

Karie

HappyascanB said...

Ha Ha Haaa! Aren't cats so weird?!?!? I was recently at the vet with one of our dogs and a cat chilled out in some medicine boxes for a good 45 minutes. The box is always MUCH smaller than the cat! They seem to like it that way!!

tattytiara said...

About a year ago I bought a pair of shoes that came in a box just like that one. I put it on a table and my cat Annette was in it instantly.

It's still on the table. The cat's still in it.

A few months ago I covered it in adhesive, floral paper. She's 16. At that age yeah, if it makes her happy she can stay in her box forever.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi! That's so cute!

Aleta said...

Aren't cats the cutest things! Tigger will do that to - if there's a box, he'll be in it!

Unknown said...

Stopping by from SITS! Great point and pictures about boxes.