Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday's Memory -- The One Where I Spontaneously Redecorate

**this blog is about decorating. My friend Kristie has a great post about finding/developing your own signature style up at her blog. Click here to investigate!**

***disclaimer: this is also my style directly out of college. let's just say I had a LOT to learn in the decorating department and my style has definitely evolved. I promise.***

Moving right along.

Getting bored is not always a good thing in my world.

I moved into a great apartment after graduating college. It was ground floor, lakeview, and in a great little suburb of Nashville. I was excited that the pet deposit was low, there were washer/dryer hookups, and maybe most of all that we could paint...as long as we returned it to the dull and lifeless white when we left.

I hadn't been there more than a couple of weeks when I came home from work one night (I was working at Victoria's Secret as well as nannying part-time that summer) and looked around.

I was bored. Nothing on TV and nothing stimulating in my apartment.

I had a red, black and white theme going on in my kitchen. And it just so happened that the kitchen was tiny. And so, the decision was made.

Off I went, and bought 2 small buckets of paint.

One red.

One black.

I had a vision. And if I do say so myself, with the texturing of the wall above my cabinets it actually looked pretty cool...kind of an awning feel to a French or Italian bistro. Exactly what I was going for.

(crappy non-digital photos and crappy apartment fixture alert)



But there was one thing I forgot.

A year later, when I moved out...it took about 10 coats of paint to cover those pesky black and red stripes...




Photobucket

1 comment:

Bethany said...

LOL! That's so funny. Reminds me of when I painted three rooms in my first apartment here, only to move from that apartment less than two months later. My poor siblings and parents...a few of my sibs refused to come back to help! ;)