i've always made peppermint bark at christmas. and plan to this year (don't worry family!!). but when coming up with the menu for our holiday open house, i realized that having two time consuming desserts to make (oreo truffles AND peppermint bark) was a little ridiculous.
so i decided to combine the two.
i used candy cane joe-joe's from trader joes. they have flakes of candy cane in them. pretty much they are amazing.
if you don't have a trader joe's near you OR you want to make this during the off season, i recommend using oreos and then putting some peppermint OIL (not extract) in the mix. a very small amount will do.
here's the recipe, for those of you who don't know it by heart already :-)
1 box candy cane joe-joe's (or oreos)
1 block cream cheese
1 container of white chocolate bark/melting chocolate. i used kroger's vanilla bark...same difference.
- place cookies in food processor and process until they are just crumbs
- add cream cheese and process until mixed fully
- roll into balls and place on waxed paper on cookie sheet
- place in the freezer for minimum 10 minutes (i usually do more like 30)
- melt chocolate according to package instructions. i prefer the oven methods normally.
- using a toothpick or whatever you have on hand (cough, skewer, cough) roll each ball in the melted chocolate. place back on the wax paper and then into the fridge while they harden