Tuesday, July 20, 2010

on a life well - lived

she was older when i met her
and her memory wasn't what it had once been
and so she often had to be re-introduced to me
or just reminded of who i was

but every time she saw me
she took my hand and squeezed it
or gave me a hug and kiss
and told me she thought i was beautiful
or sweet
or some other really nice thing :)

you could tell that she was a nurturer
she cherished moments with her husband
though she no longer was able to live with him at their house
and she doted on her grandchildren
the love she had for them was obvious

the dogs of the family preferred her lap over any other
anytime she was around
and she seemed to enjoy just sitting and watching the flurry of activity
because that flurry was made up of the ones dearest to her

when the idea of me moving into her house
to keep an eye on things
was proposed to her, she said
"i think it's a GREAT idea"
and that's all the confirmation her husband needed

she suffered with multiple health issues for several years
although every time i saw her
she was smiling and enjoying the company of people she loved

her latest bout came last week
and she prayed saturday night that she would go home
she woke on sunday, disappointed
because she was ready
but on sunday they brought her husband to see her
and they spent some precious moments together
and a few hours later
her prayer was answered
peacefully

anthony's grandma
was a wonderful woman
and i've learned in the past few days
just how wonderful

but MY favorite memory
(besides those sweet hugs and hand squeezes)
will always be
that on father's day this year
she out-ate the entire family
putting down more baby back ribs
than either her son or her grandson
(and THAT is an accomplishment!)

Photobucket

2 comments:

HappyascanB said...

This was beautiful. I've been out of town and couldn't access my blogs to comment. You and A's family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

HappyascanB said...

This was beautiful. I've been out of town and couldn't access my blogs to comment. You and A's family have been in my thoughts and prayers.