Friday, October 22, 2010

Fitness Friday: to run or not to run?

i've never been much of a runner
i walk pretty fast, so i was able to get 5K times of around 45 minutes when i walked the entire thing

but earlier this year i started running more during my 5K's (maybe 1/2 mile total, but still) and started noticing that i began getting 42 and 40 minute times.

i determined to run an entire 5K soon, and even put it on my "30 before 30" list
(even though my yoga teacher had always said it's bad for your back/knees/etc)

and then
april hit
and after moving me into my new environment
i had a major asthma attack that put me in the ER and required an overnight hospital stay

and i became terrified to run
it took a long time for me to go out for a walk even
and the first time i went hiking i thought i was going to die

that childhood asthma i thought i had outgrown
had come back stronger than ever

but now that it's been a few months and i've done a couple of semi-serious hikes and a nice little 3 mile hike last weekend
i've decided something

next weekend is the 1 year anniversary of my very first 5K
and i'm doing it again

last year i kind of strolled through, simply happy to be out and moving

this year, i WILL run at least half of it

so i've started what many of you have been doing for awhile
the couch to 5K program is what many of you have done
i've chosen a similar program: 5K 101 
simply because it has a free podcast you can download that tells you what to do when.  easy!

today is only my 2nd workout, which means i will only be 2 weeks into it when i do the 5K
but still
i am fairly certain i'll be able to handle it
if nothing else, i'll plug my headphones in and start the training podcast i'm on...

i'll let you know how it goes :)


Photobucket

5 comments:

Brooke said...

asthma (or fear of it) can not be used as a crutch. take care of yourself then tell asthma that it doesn't have the power to stop you.

my allergist told me that a surprisingly high number of olympic athletes have asthma.

keep it up girl! (and stay out of the ER please)

Erin said...

Hi Lora!

I was never a runner but my friend encouraged me to join her on her runs. I did. And I love it.

Let me tell you how I got started...and within 6 weeks I was running a 5K in 30 minutes on my lunch break. If you do this, you will also notice that you are burning more calories.

I would walk for two minutes and run for three. Walk for two and run for three. For a total of 30 minutes. Slowly increase your speed and your running minutes. Before you know it, you will be able to run the entire thing without having to take a break!!

Good luck! I got a great amount of satisfaction from pushing myself to do this!! I hope you do, too!

HappyascanB said...

Go, girlfriend! You can totally do it!

I miss running something awful. It's just not that easy to lace up my running shoes and hit the pavement now that Molly's here. Hopefully I will find a groove soon, though!

HappyascanB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for popping over to congratulate me Lora! I am impressed by your energy levels. I shall wait for news of your 5K. Can't say I run but I do walk a lot. Oh, and I empathise with asthma though mine was not diagnosed until I was in my early thirties and had a massive attack in response to my children's hamsters running around on their wheel. Had always been highly allergic to the little beasts. All that wheezing I had thought was so entertaining as a child (yes, I used to listen to my chest whistling - but no one told me it was asthma)actually had a name.

I had some allergy tests which showed me I am allergic to animal hair, birds, grass and trees. Great! Should I live in a glass bubble? I walk every day with my two hairy dogs, over the grass and through the trees and yes, there are birds all around. LOL!